Connect with us

Oxford News

Precious pictures rescued of Oxford St Edmund Campion School

Published

on


That is how many of us will remember our childhood days at school, both primary and secondary. How did we survive without the wonders of modern technology?

The pictures here were among a collection from St Edmund Campion School in Oxford that were due to be “binned and lost forever”.

READ MORE: Oxford Speedway’s long term future is secured

Thankfully, they were saved by former pupils Ray Doran and Noel McCabe, with help from friend Will Gardner, and despatched to Memory Lane.

Of course, youngsters didn’t spend all day at their desks as we see in Picture 1. It dates from 1981 and shows Bronan McCabe, John Carton and others in a school play.

2: Pupils at St Edmund Campion School (Image: Oxford Mail)

In Picture 2, we see Helene Day and Junie Deegan with a teddy bear, which played a major role in a study to help deaf and hard of hearing children.

The idea was to encourage pupils with hearing difficulties to make a sound, which would illuminate the teddy’s eyes.

The Oxford Mail published the story in 1972 under the headline, ‘Teddy with a Heart of Gold’.

Picture 3 was taken in the school’s deserted art room in 1958, while we can identify headmaster Mr Taylor and Father McKenna among those in Picture 4 taken at Our Lady Help of Christians parish church at Cowley in 1970.

St Edmund Campion School in Oxford (Image: Oxford Mail)

Picture 5 features pupils Chris Cooper, John Lever, Joan Murphy and Marie Ostojan, and in Picture 6, we see the impressive school building.

Pupils at St Edmund Campion School (Image: Oxford Mail)

Sadly, it is no longer there. St Edmund Campion School, which opened at Iffley Turn in 1958, later became St Augustine’s School, which closed in 2003.

St Edmund Campion School in Oxford (Image: Oxford Mail)

A housing estate was built on the site and pupils now go to Greyfriars Catholic School in Cricket Road, Cowley.

The original school was named after St Edmund Campion, who was born in 1540 and became a student and fellow at St John’s College in Oxford.

As lecturer in rhetoric, he entertained Queen Elizabeth 1 at a debate in Latin.

He accepted a travelling scholarship to Ireland, but maintained his links with Oxford, including dedicating his history of Ireland to the Oxford University Chancellor, the Earl of Leicester.

However, in 1581, he was arrested as a Roman Catholic agitator and martyred at the Tower of London.

Campion Hall in Brewer Street, Oxford, a private hall set up originally in 1896 when Catholics were again allowed to attend Oxford University, is also named after him





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Oxford News

Man with knife arrested for ‘bail breach’ in Oxfordshire

Published

on


The Thames Valley Police Abingdon unit arrested a man for “breaching court bail conditions” on Saturday, August 29.

A spokesperson said: “On Saturday, PC Hackett attended reports of a male breaching court bail conditions.

Thames Valley Police in Abingdon (Image: TVP)

READ MORE: Public told ‘DO NOT APPROACH’ as wanted man sighted in Oxford centre

“With assistance from PC Ellingworth and PC Harvey, the male was arrested. Following a search, a knife was recovered from his possession.”

In a wide ranging update, the force also revealed it had supported in a “concern for welfare incident linked to the night-time economy.

In addition, it had carried out licensing checks across Abingdon with drug wipes used and sent off for testing





Source link

Continue Reading

Oxford News

Molly relaxing on the grass is a camera club winner

Published

on




OXFORD Mail Camera Club members have been taking photos of their dogs



Source link

Continue Reading

Oxford News

M40 traffic caused by car crash near Bucks Oxon border

Published

on



The collision happened on the southbound carriageway between Junction 6 for Lewknor and Junction 5 for Watlington in the late morning on Saturday, August 29.

The emergency services attended the scene and closed the road,

National Highways said lanes two and three of the three-lane motorway were shut as a result while crews dealt with the incident, leading to delays of around 40 minutes.

Congestion was worsened by separate lane closures between Junctions 4 and 5 in both directions following damage to the central reservation from an earlier incident.

Traffic built up on approaches to the crash, with nearby areas including Stokenchurch and Lewknor also affected.

Images from traffic cameras showed long queues of vehicles and emergency workers at the scene throughout the afternoon.

AA Travel also reported that one lane was closed on the northbound carriageway between Handy Cross and Stokenchurch due to emergency repairs.

National Highways later confirmed that all southbound lanes between Junctions 6 and 5 had reopened and that the lane closures linked to the earlier incident were also being removed.

Despite the reopening, delays of around 40 minutes remained on the approach as traffic slowly returned to normal.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending