Traffic & Transport
HS2: Heidi Alexander to set out true cost of rail project – and when trains will begin to run | HS2
The latest estimate of the cost of HS2 and a timetable to complete construction of the high-speed railway will be set out by the government on Tuesday, including plans to run trains slower to trim costs.
The transport secretary, Heidi Alexander, is expected to give the first official reckoning of the troubled project’s budget in 2026 prices, which HS2’s backers hope will remain substantially below £100bn.
She will also set out when trains are expected to start running between London and Birmingham as part of the long-awaited “reset” of HS2’s construction and contracts. Last year the project was delayed beyond 2033.
The HS2 Ltd chief executive, Mark Wild, is understood to have given the full findings of his review of the project several months ago, and ministers have been considering whether further cost savings were feasible or desirable, including reducing the top speed of trains from 360km/h to 320km/h, nearer the standard European limit.
Plans to build the line with automatic train operation may also be jettisoned. The system does not replace drivers entirely but is primarily used on the busiest metropolitan rail lines with high-frequency services to manage train movement for maximum capacity.
The changes appear likely after excerpts of a further critical report listing HS2’s “original sins” were briefed out by the Department for Transport, including criticism of the “gold plating” of the initial project design and “focusing on the highest possible speeds”.
The report, commissioned by Keir Starmer and written by the former national security adviser Sir Stephen Lovegrove, echoed a review conducted by James Stewart last year into the costs of HS2 and major infrastructure projects.
Lovegrove’s report said that interviews with senior officials involved in HS2 showed the damage done by “changing objectives and political priorities”, as well as awarding some of the biggest civil engineering contracts too soon without sharing the risk of escalating prices.
He found that there was “little doubt that all players, certainly at HS2 Ltd and the Department [for Transport], felt under significant pressure from ministers to keep things moving”.
It adds: “As one interviewee put it, the questions are therefore ‘why [the government] failed to identify and act on the scale of failure in the company’ and whether ‘it was reasonable to assume that the Department had reasonable oversight’?”
A government source said: “The Lovegrove report further confirms the astonishing extent to which previous Conservative governments had totally lost control of HS2, frittering billions of taxpayer’s money away and leaving the project no closer to being finished than when it started.
“It has been a sorry mess, but this government has done the hard yards to pull the project out of the dirt and deliver the better connections that have long been promised to the Midlands.”
The project was first approved by the coalition government in January 2012 with a £32bn budget for a Y-shaped line reaching Manchester and Leeds, but was pruned back to a single line between London and Birmingham in 2023. Designs for the eventual London Euston terminus are still to be announced.
Traffic & Transport
Avanti West Coast to cut one in seven trains on its busiest intercity routes | Rail industry
Avanti West Coast is to cut about one in seven trains on its busiest intercity routes this summer to reduce costs.
The train operator said it was reducing its timetable between London Euston and Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester in response to a government request to lower spending.
It normally runs 248 daily services on the affected routes, and will remove 38 weekday trains from the timetable during the summer months when demand is lower.
The Department for Transport (DfT), led by the transport secretary, Heidi Alexander, has approved the revised timetable, which will take effect from 20 July.
The affected trains will be removed from the schedules before becoming available for advance ticket purchases online.
The threatened 7.00am Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston fast service, reinstated after an uproar in December, will remain running.
The government has been looking to reduce the overall spend on rail, with annual net funding having remained at about £12bn in the years since the Covid pandemic.
Avanti said the “demand-led timetabling” would only affect routes where there were alternative trains to cause minimal disruption, and should not reduce revenue.
The operator, which runs fast intercity trains between London and Glasgow on the west coast mainline, has by some distance the worst punctuality record in national rail, according to the latest statistics from the Office of Rail and Road.
However, surveys suggest customer satisfaction has improved, and Avanti has greatly increased the number of services running since its Covid troubles, when drivers refused to work overtime and it was forced to slash its timetable.
An Avanti West Coast spokesperson said: “From 20 July to 28 August, we will be operating an amended timetable between London and Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester on weekdays.
“To ensure minimal impact to those travelling between the affected dates, these changes will only affect routes on which we operate more than one train per hour, during typically less busy periods of the day – maximising alternative journey options.
“We’d like to encourage customers planning to make journeys during this time to plan ahead, and thank them for their understanding.”
A DfT spokesperson said: “The secretary of state has accepted Avanti’s short-term proposals to amend its weekday summer timetable, when passenger numbers are considerably lower and many trains run with large numbers of empty seats.
“This will save taxpayers’ money while still meeting passenger demand for seats.”
Train services run by Avanti are expected to be nationalised early in 2027, as the government returns operations to public ownership under Great British Railways.
The operator said the latest reduction in services is not because of a lack of resources.
Like all remaining franchised train operators, it is tightly contracted to the DfT. Avanti has had a chequered history with state funding, which was described in slides leaked from an internal management meeting in 2024 as “free money”.
Traffic & Transport
London tube strikes called off at last minute | London Underground
Planned strikes by drivers on the London Underground this week have been called off, the RMT union has announced.
The union said that the two 24-hour stoppages from midday on Tuesday, which were set to disrupt travel over four days this week, had been suspended.
An RMT union spokesperson said: “At the 11th hour the employer has shifted its position allowing us to further explore our members concerns around the imposition of new rosters, fatigue and safety issues.
“The dispute is not over and more strike action will follow if we fail to make sufficient progress.”
Strikes had been also scheduled for 16 and 18 June, which have now been changed to Tuesday 2 June and Thursday 4 June, should the differences over a planned four-day week not be resolved.
Transport for London (TfL) has said that its proposals for a four-day week would be trialled on a voluntary basis. Rival union Aslef, which represents a slight majority of Tube drivers, has endorsed the TfL proposal.
More details soon …
Traffic & Transport
Hopes grow that London Underground strikes could be called off | London Underground
Hopes have been raised that next week’s strikes by London Underground drivers could yet be averted, after sources said the RMT union had put out feelers for talks.
The RMT members, almost half of London’s tube drivers, are due to strike for two 24-hour periods from midday on Tuesday and Thursday, closing some lines entirely and bringing widespread travel disruption to the capital until the weekend.
The action follows a similar wave of strikes in April, with more planned for June in the dispute over a planned four-day week working pattern.
No talks have yet taken place and with neither Transport for London (TfL) nor the union apparently willing to alter course, further strikes had appeared inevitable. TfL has warned passengers that many services will not operate next week.
However, a source close to the dispute said that union representatives had now put out feelers to seek a deal, giving TfL a “window of opportunity” to prevent further strikes.
They said that tube drivers were prepared for a long strike campaign of disruption, adding: “It is clear TfL needs to move from its uncompromising position and make some new proposals that do not impose new working conditions that tube drivers will not accept. An opportunity exists for the employer to do the right thing by Londoners and make a reasonable offer to the union.”
With the strike still scheduled to take place, TfL has urged customers to plan ahead and expect significant disruption, with early closures of services on Tuesday and Thursday and late starts on Wednesday and Friday.
No trains at all will run on the Circle line, Piccadilly line, and in zone 1 on the Metropolitan line and the Central line.
However, TfL stressed that Londoners and visitors would still be able to travel around the city, with other rail lines and transport modes running, and even some tube trains during the two 24-hour strike periods.
The Elizabeth line, London Overground and DLR will run as normal, as well as buses, although increased demand and traffic is likely to slow some services.
Data from the last strikes in April showed that people continued to travel, with patronage across the entire TfL network down only 13-14% overall on most strike days, and approaching normal levels on the Friday.
The bike hire company Lime reported about 20% more trips than average on strike days, while the rival Forest said rush hour hires were up between 35% and 50%.
Tap-ins to the tube were down between 42% and 48% from Tuesday to Thursday but only 31% on Friday, when travel on TfL services was down 6% overall. There is far less commuting on Fridays now but the figures suggest Londoners returned to the tube in the evening for leisure despite some disruption.
TfL said it was not too late for the RMT to withdraw its planned strike action and said the objections the union had raised would be resolved with further, more detailed work. The Aslef union, which represents a slight majority of London Underground drivers, has backed the TfL proposals for a four-day week.
Claire Mann, TfL’s chief operating officer, said: “It is disappointing that the RMT is planning this strike action despite our best efforts to resolve this dispute. We have been clear that our proposals for a four-day week are designed to improve work-life balance and are entirely voluntary.
“A significant number of drivers have indicated that they want us to progress plans for the pilot of this new working pattern on the Bakerloo line, and it would deliver benefits both for our colleagues and our customers. We urge the RMT to work with us so we can resolve this dispute. In the meantime, we are asking customers to check before they travel and allow plenty of extra time for their journeys.”
The RMT union declined to comment.
-
Oxford News4 weeks agoBanbury cake company with 400 year history shut down
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoBicester man denies sexually assaulting two young girls
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoBicester crash: Motorcyclist ‘seriously injured’ in hospital
-
UK News4 weeks agoTV tonight: Shetland meets CSI in a new drama about a disgraced cop | Television
-
UK News4 weeks agoStarmer says it ‘beggars belief’ he wasn’t told about Mandelson vetting failure as he faces Commons – UK politics live | Politics
-
Crime & Safety3 weeks agoYoung farmers club hosts fun farm competitions in Bicester
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoOxfordshire ‘hidden trap’ pothole leads to compensation payout
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoSainsbury’s responds to Oxfordshire customer anger
