UK News
Waste carrier licences to be tightened as part of illegal dumping crackdown
The proposed changes come after a cow named Beau Vine got approved for a waste removal licence.
Source link
UK News
Cate Blanchett says #MeToo ‘got killed very quickly’ in Hollywood | Cate Blanchett
Cate Blanchett has lamented that the #MeToo movement “got killed very quickly” in Hollywood, while speaking at the Cannes film festival.
In a wide-ranging, staged conversation on Sunday, Blanchett lamented that the tide of #MeToo has been turned in Hollywood, where she has been outspoken about gender equality.
“It got killed very quickly, which I think is interesting,” said Blanchett.
“There are a lot of people with platforms who are able to speak up with relative safety and say this has happened to me. And the so-called average woman on the street, person on the street, is saying me too. Why does that get shut down?”
In 2018, when she was president of the jury in Cannes, Blanchett took part in a red-carpet protest. She and 81 other women appeared on the steps of the Palais des Festivals, representing the total number of female directors who had been selected for the Cannes competition lineup, compared with the 1,866 male directors who had been selected over the same period.
“I’m still on film sets and I do the headcount every day. There’s 10 women and there’s 75 men every morning,” Blanchett said.
“I love men, but what happens is the jokes become the same,” she said. “You just have to brace yourself slightly, and I’m used to that, but it just gets boring for everybody when you walk into a homogeneous workplace. I think it has an effect on the work.”
The year Blanchett was president of the jury, Cannes was criticised for including only three films directed by women in its 21-film official selection lineup. Blanchett then defended the festival, saying that change was “not going to happen overnight”.
Julianne Moore also spoke at Cannes on the weekend about gender disparity on film sets, saying she believe numbers had improved in the last decade.
Speaking at a Kering Women in Motion talk on Saturday, Moore recalled being one of two women on a set around 2016. “I can remember being on a set not too long ago where the only women were me and the third AC [assistant camera],” she said. “It’s when Hillary Clinton lost the election, and we were both devastated. And I said ‘Look around the room. We’re the only ones here.’ I’ve certainly seen more gender representation in crews. It was unusual, when I was coming up, to see women on a crew.”
On Sunday, Blanchett revealed she will star in The Brutalist director Brady Corbet’s next film, an “X-rated” feature set in the 1970s, alongside Selena Gomez and Michael Fassbender.
UK News
Ukraine war briefing: The drones that bombarded Moscow region | Ukraine
The general staff of Ukraine’s armed forces has reeled off a list of Ukrainian aerial weaponry used to destroy targets in the Moscow region over the weekend, including the RS-1 “Bars” jet-powered UAV, the Firepoint FP-1 winged drone, and a drone previously unknown to observers and analysts, dubbed the Bars-SM Gladiator.
Ukraine’s SBU security service highlighted a strike on the Angstrom plant in Zelenograd, Moscow region, Russia, which “specialises in the production of hi-tech products and microcircuits for high-precision weapons … A fire was recorded on the territory of the facility. The enterprise is an important component of the Russian military-industrial complex and is involved in the production of microelectronics, radio electronics, optical systems, and robotics for the enemy’s military needs.”
The SBU continued: “Also in the Moscow region, the Solnechnogorskaya pumping station was hit, which is a critical part of the ring oil pipeline around Moscow and is used for pumping, storing and shipping large volumes of gasoline and diesel fuel, in particular for the Russian army. A fire was reported on the premises.”
The strikes “reduce the enemy’s ability to continue its war”, said the SBU. Russian authorities said at least four people were killed and a dozen more wounded, and reported several hits as being from “drone debris” – as they frequently do to imply that drones were shot down by Russian defences instead of striking their intended targets. Early on Monday, the Russian defence ministry sought to emphasise the role of its air defences, claiming 3,124 Ukrainian drones were shot down over the past week.
Agence France-Presse said its journalists were granted access to an undisclosed location where Ukraine launched its long-range drones in what turned out to be one of the largest pummellings of Russia during the conflict. They described how battalion members prepared plane-like drones before they took off towards Russia, leaving trails of sparks and flames from their rocket boosters behind.
Volodymyr Zelenskyy said taking the war to Moscow was “entirely justified”. In his nightly address, Ukraine’s president said that on Sunday, Ukrainian troops’ combat operations on the battlefield outnumbered Russian ones – “a very significant result”. “Much has been accomplished this year, and a shift in the balance of activity on the frontlines is noticeable.”
Within Ukraine, the SBU said, a Russian command post in the Bunge area of Donetsk region and enemy UAV control points were hit in the Dvorichnaya area of Kharkiv region, Zavitne in Kherson region, and Udachne in Donetsk region. “In addition, Ukrainian soldiers struck enemy manpower concentrations in the areas of Myrne, Donetsk region, Krasnohirsk, Zaporizhzhia region, Volfinsky, Kursk region of the Russian Federation, as well as two concentrations of occupiers in the Novoekonomichesky district of the Donetsk region.”
Ukraine’s southern Odesa region came under a drone attack on Sunday night and residential buildings were hit, Odesa’s regional governor said in a social media post. Information about casualties and damage were being clarified, Oleh Kiper posted. In the Zaporizhzhia region, a car was hit in a Russian attack, injuring a woman and a man. In Kherson region, the regional prosecutor’s office said a drone dropped explosives on a home, killing a man, while eight civilians were injured in attacks on regional cities and towns.
A suspected Ukrainian military drone was found crashed in Lithuania on Sunday, the Lithuanian government’s crisis management centre said. The drone was not detected when it entered Lithuania, and was not armed with explosives, said the chief of the centre, Vilmantas Vitkauskas. The drone was found crashed at the village of Samane, the centre said, 40km from the Latvian border and 55km from Belarus. Kyiv was yet to comment.
Separately, the Latvian army said a drone alert was issued on Sunday morning along its border with Russia, and Nato military fighters were summoned to the area. One drone entered Latvia for a short time during the alert, the army said.
Since March, several stray Ukrainian drones have entered the airspace of Nato members Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia which border Russia and its ally Belarus. Kyiv has insisted the drones were aimed at military targets in Russia but sent off course by Russian countermeasures. The Latvian prime minister, Evika Silina, fired her defence minister after one incident, leading to the fall of her government.
The commander of Ukraine’s drone forces has defended Ukraine’s long-range attacks into Russia. In an interview with Agence France-Presse, Robert Brovdi, known as “Madyar”, said: “The sources of funding for Putin’s war expenses … have become legitimate and priority military targets in any area, in any part of the territory of the occupying country, whether we are talking about the south, the Urals, or Siberia.” The interview was given before Ukraine on the weekend launched its wave of more than 600 drones into Russia.
UK News
What would make the UK a better place to live? A new project aims to find out
People are being asked to leave voice notes explaining changes they would like to see.
Source link
-
Oxford News4 weeks agoBanbury cake company with 400 year history shut down
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoBicester man denies sexually assaulting two young girls
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoBicester crash: Motorcyclist ‘seriously injured’ in hospital
-
UK News4 weeks agoTV tonight: Shetland meets CSI in a new drama about a disgraced cop | Television
-
UK News4 weeks agoStarmer says it ‘beggars belief’ he wasn’t told about Mandelson vetting failure as he faces Commons – UK politics live | Politics
-
Crime & Safety3 weeks agoYoung farmers club hosts fun farm competitions in Bicester
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoOxfordshire ‘hidden trap’ pothole leads to compensation payout
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoSainsbury’s responds to Oxfordshire customer anger
