Connect with us

UK News

Ukraine war briefing: Zelenskyy sounds warning after Russia strikes Kyiv with Oreshnik missile | Ukraine

Published

on


  • Ukraine’s capital Kyiv was hit by a massive strike of missiles and drones early on Sunday, shortly after its air force warned Russia might launch a hypersonic Oreshnik ballistic missile. Explosions reverberated through the city shortly after 1am after the air force announced a threat of an Oreshnik launch on its Telegram channel. At least three people were injured and several residential buildings damaged across the city, Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko said on Telegram. “The capital has come under a mass ballistic missile attack,” Tymur Tkachenko, head of the Kyiv city military administration, said. “There are currently reports of at least four locations affected by the attack: Shevchenkivsky, Dniprovsky and Podilsky districts. Fires and damage to residential buildings are preliminarily reported.” Debris was on fire on the premises of a school in the city centre, Klitschko said.

  • Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned that the use of such weapons as the Oreshnik missile “sets a global precedent for other potential aggressors”. He added in a social media post: “If Russia is allowed to destroy lives on such a scale, then no agreement will restrain other similar hatred-based regimes from aggression and strikes. We count on a response from the world – and on a response that is not post factum, but preventive. Pressure must be put on Moscow so that it does not expand the war.”

  • On Saturday, Zelenskyy had warned Russia was preparing a strike against Ukraine using the Oreshnik missile, citing intelligence from Ukraine, the US and Europe. Their alerts came after Russian officials said the death toll from a Ukrainian strike on a college and its dormitory in a Russian-occupied town in eastern Ukraine had risen to 18. Ukraine’s air force did not immediately respond to a request for comment on whether an Oreshnik missile hit any target. Russia has already attacked Ukraine twice with the Oreshnik, a missile President Vladimir Putin has boasted is impossible to intercept because of its reported velocity of more than 10 times the speed of sound. Russia has deployed the Oreshnik to Belarus, its neighbouring ally, which as well as bordering Ukraine has borders with three Nato member states: Lithuania, Latvia and Poland.

  • A 23-year-old Briton has been killed in Ukraine. Reports emerged on Friday that Ayrton Redfearn had died in the Donetsk region on 9 May and were later confirmed to the BBC by his mother, who asked to be known as Natasha. She said the young man, from Devon, had joined a specialist unit supporting the Ukrainian army in 2025, and that she had “lived in fear of the police coming to my door with bad news”. “We are trying to have just 1% of the strength, bravery and courage of Ayrton, and if we can do this, it will help us to eventually come to terms with our life without him,” she said. “I am very grateful for all the tributes, messages and support from those who knew Ayrton and from strangers.” She added that her son had been due to receive a bravery award days after his death. Redfearn was a member of the Torquay Air Cadets as a child and at 17 he joined the RAF before travelling overseas, the BBC reported. The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said: “We are supporting the family of a British national who has died in Ukraine, and are in contact with the Ukrainian authorities.” The FCDO warns that British nationals fighting in Ukraine face a high risk of maltreatment.

  • Acclaimed Russian director Andrey Zvyagintsev urged Vladimir Putin to end the “carnage” in Ukraine on Saturday after his new movie set during the war came runner-up at the Cannes film festival. “Millions of people on both sides of the line of contact now dream of only one thing: that the massacres finally stop,” he said in his acceptance speech at the awards ceremony in Cannes. “And the only person who can put an end to this meat grinder is you … put a stop to this carnage, the whole world is waiting for this.” Zvyagintsev’s Minotaur was among the frontrunners for the Palme d’Or top prize for best film at Cannes, finishing with the second-place Grand Prix award behind Fjord by Romanian director Cristian Mungiu.

  • The UN said on Friday it “strongly condemns any attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure, wherever they occur”, in the wake of a deadly Ukrainian drone strike in a Russian-occupied town in eastern Ukraine. Russia has accused Ukraine of targeting a student dorm in Starobilsk, in the occupied Lugansk region, saying the death toll has now risen to 18, with 42 wounded, some of whom are still trapped in the rubble. Kyiv has denied targeting civilians, insisting it had hit a Russian drone unit stationed in the Starobilsk area, and the UN noted it could not verify details due to restricted access to the area. In Russia and on the occupied territories of Ukraine, a college is an equivalent of a vocational school, typically for students aged from 15 to 22 years.



  • Source link

    Continue Reading
    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    UK News

    Antonelli surges to F1 Canadian GP win after teammate Russell retires in lead | Formula One 2026

    Published

    on


    It is too early to be decisive yet but without doubt George Russell was left cursing his damnable luck as his world championship ambitions took a body blow in Montreal. The British driver was left angry and disconsolate as his Mercedes ground to halt on track at the Canadian Grand Prix and his teammate and title rival Kimi Antonelli powered to a record-breaking victory.

    Russell must be wondering what he has to do to catch a break in what increasingly looks like a two-way title fight with his Italian teammate. He had claimed victory in the sprint race, then pole and then had an absolutely gripping, toe-to-toe fight with the 19-year-old for the opening 29 laps on the Île Notre-Dame.

    The pair had circulated within half a second of one another, trading the lead repeatedly in what was an exemplary piece of racing. Russell had to pull some superb, resolved, defensive driving and Antonelli was as always an irrepressible force, a joy to behold. To and fro they darted against one another, neither perfect, both drivers suffered lock-ups and minor errors but neither could take a decisive advantage. It was glorious stuff with nothing to choose between them.

    The prospect of it heading to the flag as such was mouthwatering, only for Russell’s world to fall apart in a scant few seconds. Out of nowhere he suddenly slowed and pulled off on lap 30 with an engine failure.

    An understandably angry Russell hurled his headrest from the car and walked away from it in disgust. He was left behind the fence, staring at the marshals pushing his stricken ride away and shaking his head in disbelief and frustration as Antonelli scampered off into an unchallenged lead he held to the flag.

    Mercedes’ Kimi Antonelli takes the chequered flag. Photograph: Mark Sutton/Formula 1/Getty Images

    It was impossible not to sympathise with the British driver as the Mercedes team principal, Toto Wolff, understood when he came out to put his arm round him when he returned to the paddock. Russell had fought hard and a win or a second would have been well deserved, instead the weekend where had hoped to close on his teammate’s championship lead was left shattered.

    Eighteen points behind before the race, Russell is now a full 43 back and when interviewed afterwards he admitted he could make no sense of this cruel fate in Montreal.

    “I’m a bit lost for words,” he said. “I’ve got to be honest, I’m proud of my weekend: pole for the sprint race, won the sprint race, pole for the main race, I had a good battle with Kimi. From my side I don’t think there was any more I could do.

    “Of course I’m pretty frustrated by what’s happened but what more could I do?”

    Antonelli deserved the victory but would have enjoyed taking it to the end in a real scrap with his teammate, noting it was not the way he wanted to win. With it however the Italian has now taken four in a row after victories in China, Japan and Miami. A striking start in only second year in the sport. Indeed he is now the first driver to have scored his first four wins in the sport in succession.

    He once more demonstrated great skill, although his impetuousness was on display too but as Wolff has noted he would rather try to rein-in a charger than encourage a donkey. In Montreal such was the intensity of the fight between the two teammates Mercedes were almost forced to bring them both to heel.

    McLaren’s Lando Norris inspects his car after retiring. Photograph: James Sutton/Formula 1/Getty Images

    That the pair are going to be going at hard for the world championship this year is clear. They came together in the sprint race on Saturday, with Antonelli furious when he felt Russell has squeezed him off track. Mercedes held discussions with them afterwards with both declaring all was well between them but on Sunday they were at it again.

    As part of their gripping scrap, on lap 23 Antonelli locked-up at the hairpin, Russell pounced and the pair then brushed up against each other, trading paint in the final chicane. Antonelli went off and gained the place, which he was forced to give back, aggrieved believing that his teammate had squeezed him off again. “He pushed me off. I was ahead, What’s the point?,” he said.

    Mercedes promptly told their drivers to “tidy up the racing” with nerves jangling on the pit wall as the pair were warned the team would intervene if they did not. Mercedes’ rules of engagement seem clear that they are free to race but cannot hit one another, an edict that may be increasingly hard to follow if the contest between them remains as tight going into the next 17 races as it was in Montreal.

    It may have come to an intervention on Sunday, only for fate to remove Russell from the equation. A long night lies ahead for the British driver then as he contemplates what might have been. Too early to be decisive yes but the scale of the task now looms large and Antonelli showed in Canada that he will contest every metre of every lap in the process. A prospect to savour on the form from Montreal.

    Lewis Hamilton scored his best result for Ferrari after a superb fight with Max Verstappen to claim second from the Dutchman in the closing stages, while Verstappen was in fine form to take his first podium of 2026 for Red Bull.



    Source link

    Continue Reading

    UK News

    RAF jet carrying defence secretary has signal jammed near Russian border

    Published

    on



    Pilots on board had to use a different navigation system while the plane’s GPS was disabled.



    Source link

    Continue Reading

    UK News

    F1 2026: Canadian Grand Prix race updates – live | Formula One 2026

    Published

    on


    Key events

    Lap 29/68: “Both cars need to race without risk” is the word from George Russell’s engineer as Kimi Antonelli gets a similar message.

    Share



    Source link

    Continue Reading

    Trending