Oxford News

Tommy Robinson Oxford debate ‘postponed’ over security fears

Published

on



The controversial figure, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, was due to speak at the historical debating society on Thursday, May 28.

Yaxley-Lennon has been jailed multiple times for a variety of offences with his significant recent imprisonment in October 2024 for contempt of court.

And his planned visit had sparked furious backlash, with politicians in Oxfordshire saying he is “not welcome” to the city.

READ MORE: Police cordon off toilets near historical landmark

Laurence Fox, a right-wing political activist and leader of the Reclaim Party, claimed that Yaxley-Lennon’s event is “cancelled”.

The Oxford Union has disputed this, and said discussions are ongoing but Thursday’s event will go ahead on another date.

Mr Fox said: “The Stasi at Thames Valley Police and Oxford[shire] County Council have bullied the brave head of the Oxford Union into cancelling the forthcoming debate on Islam, despite us offering to pay for all the – shouldn’t be necessary – police security they say is required.”

The member of the Fox family said American political commentator Megyn Kelly has offered to host the debate “in the last free country on earth”, referencing the States.

“Britain is no different from any communist country at this point. We owe it to our children to defend free speech,” he added. “Without it we are slaves.”

The Oxford Union confirmed the event has been postponed to allow for extra time to plan the event after the complexities of security.

A statement from the Union said: “The Fifth Week debate has been postponed from 28 May to later this term to allow time for planning of the event.

“We are grateful to our local partners and stakeholders for their continued support and engagement.

“We expect to confirm the new date shortly, following discussions with our speakers.”

It comes as Oxford Union’s president Arwa Elrayess faces resignation calls, insider leaks and condemnation from her own committee after “secretly” inviting Yaxley-Lennon.

A source close to the Oxford Union said: “This is not a student politics story. It is a story about the normalisation of far-right figures in elite British institutions – and the fact that even traditionally left-wing spaces like Oxford University are no longer immune.

“The Overton window has not shifted. It has been kicked open.”

Last week, Bishop of Oxford Dr Steven Croft and Imam Monawar Hussain wrote a joint letter in which they say they are “disturbed and saddened” that the far-right leader was scheduled to appear at the debating society which is more than 200 years old.

Oxfordshire County Council was approached for a comment.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Oxinfo.co.uk. All right reserved.