Connect with us

Oxford News

Tommy Robinson Oxford debate ‘postponed’ over security fears

Published

on



The controversial figure, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, was due to speak at the historical debating society on Thursday, May 28.

Yaxley-Lennon has been jailed multiple times for a variety of offences with his significant recent imprisonment in October 2024 for contempt of court.

And his planned visit had sparked furious backlash, with politicians in Oxfordshire saying he is “not welcome” to the city.

READ MORE: Police cordon off toilets near historical landmark

Laurence Fox, a right-wing political activist and leader of the Reclaim Party, claimed that Yaxley-Lennon’s event is “cancelled”.

The Oxford Union has disputed this, and said discussions are ongoing but Thursday’s event will go ahead on another date.

Mr Fox said: “The Stasi at Thames Valley Police and Oxford[shire] County Council have bullied the brave head of the Oxford Union into cancelling the forthcoming debate on Islam, despite us offering to pay for all the – shouldn’t be necessary – police security they say is required.”

The member of the Fox family said American political commentator Megyn Kelly has offered to host the debate “in the last free country on earth”, referencing the States.

“Britain is no different from any communist country at this point. We owe it to our children to defend free speech,” he added. “Without it we are slaves.”

The Oxford Union confirmed the event has been postponed to allow for extra time to plan the event after the complexities of security.

A statement from the Union said: “The Fifth Week debate has been postponed from 28 May to later this term to allow time for planning of the event.

“We are grateful to our local partners and stakeholders for their continued support and engagement.

“We expect to confirm the new date shortly, following discussions with our speakers.”

It comes as Oxford Union’s president Arwa Elrayess faces resignation calls, insider leaks and condemnation from her own committee after “secretly” inviting Yaxley-Lennon.

A source close to the Oxford Union said: “This is not a student politics story. It is a story about the normalisation of far-right figures in elite British institutions – and the fact that even traditionally left-wing spaces like Oxford University are no longer immune.

“The Overton window has not shifted. It has been kicked open.”

Last week, Bishop of Oxford Dr Steven Croft and Imam Monawar Hussain wrote a joint letter in which they say they are “disturbed and saddened” that the far-right leader was scheduled to appear at the debating society which is more than 200 years old.

Oxfordshire County Council was approached for a comment.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Oxford News

Olives on sale at market is our camera club winner

Published

on


That was their latest weekly theme and they posted plenty of photos of market stalls in Oxford, including those in the Covered Market and at Gloucester Green and Broad Street.

Some photographers also sent in photos of markets from outside the county and beyond.

READ MORE: Leading UK charity in liquidation

Gloucester Green and the Covered Market offer plenty of good opportunities for colourful photos as there are often food stalls open, while Broad Street hosts a popular market over the festive period.

It was tricky to choose a winner for photo of the week, but Georgina Elliott-Dew was selected for an eye-catching selection of photos, including the one above of a market trader selling olives.

Ann Faulkner’s snap of Applegate market in Covent Garden also stood out.

A market at Covent Garden (Image: Ann Faulkner)

Camera club members have drawn up their own list of weekly themes and the next one is ‘Oxfordshire stone’.





Source link

Continue Reading

Oxford News

Aylesbury prison absconder wanted in public appeal

Published

on



John Baker, 44, left the facility of HMP Springhill, an open prison near Grendon Underwood, without permission.

The incident took place at about 7pm on Saturday, May 23.

He is 5ft 9ins tall, of medium build, and has links to Northwood, near Watford.

Detective sergeant Jon Muldoon said: “We are appealing for the help of the public to trace John Baker, who is unlawfully at large after escaping from HMP Springhill.

“If you see Baker, do not approach him and call 999 instead.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Oxford News

Search for missing boy, 16, last at Didcot railway station

Published

on



Police are appealing to help find Cody, who was last spoken to at close to midnight on Saturday, may 23.

A police spokesman said: “We’re asking for your help to find a missing boy, Cody.

“He is 16 years old and was last seen yesterday at Didcot train station around 3.45pm and he was last spoken to around 11.30pm last night.

READ MORE: Calls for £1bn extra for farmers as Iran war hits hard

“He is described as white with a slim build, around 5ft 5ins tall. He was last wearing black trousers with a grey patch on the side, a white t-shirt, a black hooded jacket and black trainers.

“He is known to travel to the Oxford and Reading areas 📍

“Cody if you see this, please can you let us know where you are.

“If you have any information about his whereabouts, please call us on 999 quoting reference number 43260257230.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending