Connect with us

UK News

Parents could face bigger fines for child's crimes under youth justice shake-up

Published

on

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

UK News

Middle East crisis live: Trump warns ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran to reach peace deal | US-Israel war on Iran

Published

on


Trump warns ‘clock is ticking for Iran’ to reach peace deal

We are restarting our coverage of the US-Israeli war on Iran and Israel’s war on Lebanon. Donald Trump has issued an extreme warning to Iran to quickly agree to a peace deal with the US or face devastation.

As Washington struggles to break an impasse on ending the war, the US president said on his Truth Social platform on Sunday: “For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!”

Trump is expected to meet top national security advisers on Tuesday to discuss options for military action on Iran, according to a report in the US outlet Axios.

It came as a drone strike in the United Arab Emirates caused a fire at a nuclear power plant – which the country called a “dangerous escalation” and blamed on Iran or its proxies – and Saudi Arabia reported intercepting three drones.

Tehran has demanded a lasting ceasefire in Lebanon before any broader peace deal with Washington.

Israel’s airstrikes killed seven people in Lebanon on Sunday, including an Islamic Jihad commander, Lebanese authorities and state media said, despite the fragile ceasefire as Hezbollah called US-brokered talks between the two countries a “dead end”.

Emergency workers inspect the damage after an Israeli strike on an apartment building in Baalbek on 18 May 2026.
Emergency workers inspect the damage after an Israeli strike on an apartment building in Baalbek on 18 May 2026. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

In other key developments:

  • Iranian media said the US had failed to make any concrete concessions in its latest response to Iran’s proposed agenda for negotiations to end the war. The Fars news agency said on Sunday that Washington had presented a five-point list that included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the US.

  • Islamic Jihad commander Wael Abdel Halim and his 17-year-old daughter were killed in an Israeli missile strike on an apartment in eastern Lebanon on Sunday, Lebanese state media said. Israeli strikes on towns in southern Lebanon earlier killed five people, including two children, and left at least 15 people injured, the Lebanese health ministry said, despite Israel and Lebanon agreeing to extend their ceasefire by 45 days.

  • Hezbollah had fired about 200 projectiles at Israel and its troops over the weekend, an Israeli military official said on Sunday.

  • Israel’s cabinet approved a plan to build a defence compound on the site of the recently demolished premises of the UN Palestinian refugee agency (Unrwa) in East Jerusalem. Israel seized the site last year in an act the agency condemned as a violation of international law.

Share

Key events

The Israeli military has ordered residents of three towns and villages in southern Lebanon to evacuate immediately by a “distance of no less than 1000 meters to open areas” in advance of attacks against the locations.

The affected towns and villages are: Harouf, Burj Al-Shamali and Dibal, according to a social media post by the IDF’s Arabic-language spokesperson, Avichay Adraee, who claimed the attacks are being launched due to Hezbollah, the Iranian backed Lebanese militant group, violating the US-mediated ceasefire agreement Israel signed with the Lebanese state in mid April.

International law experts say Israel’s warnings are inconsistent and often overly broad and open-ended. Sometimes there is no warning at all before the airstrikes. More than one million people have already been displaced by the renewed Israeli war on Lebanon which started when Hezbollah launched missiles at Israel on 2 March after the US-Israeli bombing of Iran in late February.

In its latest update, the Lebanese health ministry said since 2 March Israeli attacks have killed at least 2,988 people, including many women and children.

A view of the damaged buildings as the Israeli army carried out an attack violating the ceasefire on the city of Tyre in southern Lebanon, on 17 May 2026. Photograph: Houssam Shbaro/Anadolu/Getty Images
Share



Source link

Continue Reading

UK News

Europe should pick negotiator for possible Russian talks, says Zelenskyy – Europe live | Ukraine

Published

on


Morning opening: Who’s going to speak for Europe?

Jakub Krupa

Jakub Krupa

Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy suggested last night that the time has come for Europe to pick its preferred negotiator for eventual peace talks with Russia.

European Council president António Costa and Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy attend the 8th European Political Community (EPC) summit in Yerevan, Armenia.
European Council president António Costa and Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy attend the 8th European Political Community (EPC) summit in Yerevan, Armenia. Photograph: Ludovic Marin/AFP/Getty Images

After talking with the European Council president, António Costa, Zelenskyy said they agreed that “Europe must be involved in the negotiations,” and to “have a strong voice and presence in this process.”

“It is worth determining who will represent Europe specifically,” he said.

Easier said than done.

While the EU has no shortage of presidents – of the European Commission, of the European Council, of the European Parliament, to name a few – it still lacks a single figurehead that would make an obvious candidate for any tricky talks with Moscow.

Vladimir Putin’s cheeky suggestion of pro-Russian former German chancellor Gerhard Schröder was quickly shot down for his links with Moscow, but Europeans will have to reflect on who could represent its interests if and when the talks actually progress to that stage.

Meanwhile, Ukraine launched retaliatory strikes against Russia over the weekend, killing at least four, as it hit a number of strategic locations, including in Moscow.

“Our responses to Russia’s prolongation of the war and attacks on our cities and communities are entirely justified,” Zelenskyy said, adding that the strikes on Moscow showed Kyiv was “clearly telling the Russians: their state must end its war.”

But overnight Russia attacked again with over 500 drones and 20 missiles, with Zelenskyy urging Europe to do “everything possible to ensure reliable protection against this.”

I will keep an eye on this today.

Elsewhere, I will look at the US envoy Jeff Landry’s controversial visit to Greenland, bring you an update on the government formation talks in Latvia, and monitor several high-profile meetings of leaders across Europe, including new Bulgaria’s PM Ruman Radev’s visit to Germany.

It’s Monday, 18 May 2026, it’s Jakub Krupa here, and this is Europe Live.

Good morning.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Europe should ‘push forward’ with sanctions as Putin has few good options on Ukraine, Estonia’s spy chief says

Meanwhile, Estonia’s spy chief Kaupo Rosin told Reuters that Russian president Vladimir Putin has few good options in Ukraine with his armed forces unable to advance significantly on the battlefield while western sanctions are chipping away at his resources.

Russian security personnel stand guard next to a pickup truck equipped with a machine gun near the Kremlin in central Moscow, Russia. Photograph: Anastasia Barashkova/Reuters

He told the agency that Russia was losing more men than it was recruiting in the fifth year of its full-scale war, and that a general mobilisation would be deeply unpopular and potentially undermine stability.

“All these factors together are creating a situation where some people in Russia including in the higher levels understand that they have a big problem. Hard to say what Putin thinks about it, but I think all these factors are starting to float into his decision-making.”

He said the west should “push forward” with sanctions.

double quotation markThis is not the time to hesitate, just let’s keep going.

Share



Source link

Continue Reading

UK News

Clubs and fans should be punished for pitch invasions, says ex-SFA chief

Published

on



Gordon Smith described the scenes at Celtic Park on Saturday as “horrendous”.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending