Oxford united FC

EFL in new Southampton update amid Oxford United spying

Published

on


It was confirmed yesterday evening (Wednesday, May 20) that Middlesbrough will play Hull in Saturday’s Championship play-off final after Southampton lost their appeal against their expulsion for ‘spygate’.

An independent commission imposed the penalty on Tuesday (May 19) – and docked the Hampshire club four points for next season – after the Saints admitted three spying charges, including observing a Boro session ahead of the semi-final first leg.

READ MORE: Fans celebrate as long-awaited new Lord of the Rings work announced

The commission also reinstated Middlesbrough, who lost 2-1 after extra-time at St Mary’s having drawn 0-0 at the Riverside Stadium, denying Southampton the chance of a shot at promotion to the Premier League worth an estimated £200 million at a minimum.

Saints chief executive Phil Parsons called it “manifestly disproportionate” to any other sanction handed down in the history of the English game.

Nik Prelec heads the ball (Image: Mike Allen)

An EFL statement read: “The determination means that the original sanction of expulsion from the Sky Bet Championship play-offs remains in place, as does the four-point deduction to be applied to the 2026-27 Championship table and the reprimand in respect of all charges.

“The club submitted its appeal following yesterday’s decision of the independent disciplinary commission in respect of breaches of EFL regulations.

“As per EFL regulations, the decision of the league arbitration panel is final and cannot be appealed.”

A fan in Camouflage. Southampton have been expelled from the Championship play-offs (Image: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire)

As well as spying before the play-off match, Southampton have also admitted to spying on a training session at Oxford United in December and one at Ipswich in April.

The U’s are yet to release a statement on the affair but The Athletic has reported that the south coast club looked to spy on Oxford at their training centre on Christmas Eve.

This was before the clubs’ meeting at the Kassam Stadium on December 26 and came after head coach Gary Rowett had been sacked on December 23.

Southampton manager Tonda Eckert (Image: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire)

Craig Short led that game and others before Matt Bloomfield eventually took over early in 2026.

A spokesperson for Southampton said: “While we fully acknowledge the seriousness of this matter and the scrutiny that has followed, the club has consistently believed the original sporting sanction was disproportionate, a view that has been widely shared by many in the football community over the last 24 hours.”

READ MORE: BBC Pride and Prejudice lakeside manor listed for £45 million sale

All three incidents occurred after the appointment of Tonda Eckert as Head Coach who may face action from the Football Association, according to reports.

In addition it has been confirmed that Southampton are now under investigation by the Football Association in relation to the scandal.

Middlesbrough had called for Southampton to be thrown out of the play-offs prior to Tuesday’s commission hearing and welcomed the news they had been expelled.

The club said the sanction “sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct”.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Oxinfo.co.uk. All right reserved.