Connect with us

UK News

Middle East crisis live: Rubio sees initial progress on reopening Hormuz after Trump claims Iran deal ‘largely negotiated’ | Middle East and north Africa

Published

on


Rubio says ‘significant’ progress made in talks with Iran

The US secretary of state, Marco Rubio, has been talking to reporters in New Delhi during a diplomatic visit to India.

“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news,” Rubio told the media.

He added that “significant” progress had been made in peace talks with Iran but cautioned that this was not “final” progress. Rubio reiterated that Iran can never possess a nuclear weapon and that the strait of Hormuz has to be open to global marine traffic without tolls being charged by Tehran for safe passage.

Rubio said:

double quotation markWe have made some progress over the last 48 hours working with our partners in the Gulf region on an outline that could ultimately – if it succeeds – leave us not just with a completely open strait … and with addressing some of the key things that underpin what has been Iran’s nuclear weapons ambitions in the past.

Marco Rubio (pictured) attends a joint press conference with Indian foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar after their meeting in New Delhi.
Marco Rubio (pictured) attends a joint press conference with Indian foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar after their meeting in New Delhi. Photograph: Adnan Abidi/Reuters
Share

Updated at 

Key events

Rubio said that the path to a durable agreement would require “full Iranian acceptance and then compliance”, and “future work” would have to be done to finalise “the details”.

“When you are talking about a nuclear programme, as an example, these are highly technical matters and ones that would probably need to be addressed over some period of time,” the secretary of state said.

Responding to the criticism of the emerging deal from senior Republicans (see post at 08.28), Rubio said Donald Trump’s commitment to Iran never possessing a nuclear weapon is unwavering.

“And the idea that somehow this president, given everything he has already proven he is willing to do, is going to somehow agree to a deal that ultimately winds up putting Iran in a stronger position when it comes to nuclear ambitions is absurd,” he said.

“That is just not going to happen. But our preference is to address this through a diplomatic means and that is what we are endeavouring to do here.”

Share



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

UK News

EasyJet flight diverts to Rome over power bank in luggage

Published

on



Many airlines have toughened their rules on power banks, often requiring that they be stored in hand luggage not checked luggage.



Source link

Continue Reading

UK News

Hottest May day for nearly 80 years as parts of UK hit heatwave threshold | UK weather

Published

on


England, Wales and Northern Ireland recorded their highest temperatures of 2026 on Sunday, which was also the UK’s hottest May day for at least 79 years.

Kew Gardens in west London recorded 32.3C (90.1F), Cardiff 27.4C and Armagh 23.4C.

Scotland reached 23.5C in Edinburgh, just 0.1C below the record of 23.6C set in Aboyne on 1 May.

The first area of the UK to hit the heatwave threshold was Santon Downham in Suffolk, which reached the criteria of recording temperatures of more than 27C for three consecutive days at 11.30am on Sunday.

The other areas officially in heatwave conditions are Heathrow, Kew Gardens and Northolt in London, Benson in Oxfordshire, Brooms Barn in Suffolk, and High Beach and Writtle in Essex.

Temperatures could rise again on Monday, wwith possible highs of between 33C and 34C.

The climate crisis is increasing the likelihood of extreme heat. Large parts of western Europe are experiencing similar peaks, and the French national weather agency, Météo-France, said periods of exceptional heat are to be expected “more and more often and more and more prematurely, and to be more and more intense”.

Margate beach was packed with sunbathers as temperatures climbed over the bank holiday weekend. Photograph: Chris J Ratcliffe/Reuters

A Met Office spokesperson said: “Breaking the 32.8C May record is around three times more likely now in our current climate than it would have been in natural climate conditions before the Industrial Revolution.

“What was around a one-in-100-year event is now around a one-in-33-year event.”

The Met Office sets the criteria for a heatwave, one of which is when temperatures reach or exceed 28C in London and its surrounding counties on at least three consecutive days.

For many other areas of England and south-east Wales, the threshold is 26C or 27C. For the rest of Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England it is 25C.

A map of UK heatwave thresholds

Saturday was the UK’s first 30C day of the year, the earliest date that temperature has been reached since 1952.

Sunbathers flocked to beaches across the UK, and Lord’s cricket ground relaxed its strict dress code for its members’ pavilion. The Marylebone Cricket Club usually requires spectators there to wear lounge suits or tailored jackets and ties.

There were also drinks breaks at the League One playoff final between Bolton Wanderers and Stockport County at Wembley and during the Premier League games as the top-flight football season concluded.

A dog cools off at water fountains in Battersea park, south-west London. Photograph: James Manning/PA

People living in three villages in Kent experienced no water or low pressure for a second day. The affected areas were Charing, Challock and Molash near Ashford, where people first reported supply problems on Saturday evening.

South East Water apologised and said the issue had been resolved overnight, but that supply problems had resumed on Sunday as a result of pumping station issues.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) issued amber heat alerts on Friday morning for the East Midlands, the West Midlands, the east of England, London and the south-east.

Swimmers at Charlton lido in south-east London. Photograph: Yann Tessier/Reuters

The alerts will remain in place until 5pm on Wednesday, meaning “an increase in risk to health for individuals aged over 65 years or those with pre-existing health conditions, including respiratory and cardiovascular diseases”, according to the UKHSA website.

There were also pleas for caution around open bodies of water such as lakes and quarries to reduce the risk of drowning.

According to 2024 data from the National Water Safety Forum, 61% of accidental water-related fatalities occurred in inland waterways, including rivers, canals, lakes, reservoirs and quarries. May that year had the largest number of deaths at 28.

The data also suggests many such deaths occur among people who are not intending to enter the water.

Prof Mike Tipton, the chair of the forum and an expert in water safety and cold water shock, said: “We encourage people to think before entering the water, and if they decide to go in, go to a supervised location, enter the water slowly to reduce the cold shock response and keep breathing under control.

“If people get into trouble, they should ‘float to live’ – roll on to back, tilt head back to keep airways out of the water, do as little sculling arm and leg exercise as necessary to stay afloat until breathing is back under control.”

Tipton also advised against entering the water to rescue someone struggling because doing so often leads to two people in trouble. People should call the emergency services, tell the person in the water to float and throw them a flotation aid if possible, he said.



Source link

Continue Reading

UK News

Police probe after 'skeletal remains' found by A617

Published

on



Police say the remains found are believed to be of one person.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending