UK News
Trump claims peace deal with Iran ‘largely negotiated’ with strait of Hormuz to open | US-Israel war on Iran
Donald Trump claimed on Saturday that a peace deal with Iran “has been largely negotiated”, after calls with a Pakistani mediator, Gulf allies and Israel, potentially paving the way for an end to the war launched by the US and Israel in February.
Trump wrote on his social media platform that “final aspects and details” of a “memorandum of understanding” were still being discussed and “will be announced shortly”, but said the strait of Hormuz would be opened as part of the deal.
“An agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries,” Trump posted.
However, Iran’s Fars news agency, which is close to the powerful Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, reported that the strait of Hormuz would remain under Iranian control, a red line for the US. The news agency reported on Telegram that “the management of the Strait, determining the route, time, method of passage, and issuing permits will continue to be the monopoly and discretion of the Islamic Republic of Iran”.
It said Trump’s assertion that an agreement was nearly final was “inconsistent with reality”.
Pakistan’s prime minister, Shehbaz Sharif, later congratulated Trump on his peace efforts and said Pakistan hoped to host another round of talks between the US and Iran “very soon”.
Sharif described the US president’s call with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey, Egypt, the UAE, Jordan and Pakistan as “very useful and productive”, adding: “Pakistan will continue its peace efforts with utmost sincerity and we hope to host the next round of talks very soon.”
Pakistan’s army chief, Syed Asim Munir, is a key figure in the negotiations and has held meetings in Tehran recently with figures such as Iranian president Masoud Pezeshkian and parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf.
Trump’s announcement came after a Pakistani source told Reuters that Iran and Pakistan had submitted a revised proposal to the United States to end the war and reopen the strait of Hormuz.
Details purported to be in the draft agreement include that the strait would reopen with no tolls during a 60-day ceasefire extension, while Iran would be able to freely sell oil and negotiations would be held on curbing its nuclear program, according to Axios. In exchange, the US would lift its blockade on Iranian ports, it reported, citing a US official.
The report tallies with the Associated Press, which cited a regional source as saying the potential deal would include an official declaration of the war’s end, with two-month negotiations on Iran’s nuclear program, the opening of the crucial shipping lane by Iran and an end to the US blockade of Iranian ports.
Three senior Iranian officials told the New York Times the agreement would stop the fighting in Iran and in Lebanon, and could release $25bn in Iranian assets frozen overseas, with a nuclear agreement to be negotiated within 30 to 60 days.
There had been hints before the announcement that indirect talks between the US and Iran had progressed in the past few days. Marco Rubio, the US secretary of state, said during a visit to India that “news” might arrive “later today”, even as Trump continued to threaten striking Iran.
In his post, Trump said that he had had phone discussions with many Middle Eastern leaders, including those of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain, as well as Pakistan’s army chief Munir, and Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. “Separately, I had a call with Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu, of Israel, which, likewise, went very well,” Trump said.
Details of the exact negotiations remain sparse. Trump on Saturday said he’d met with American negotiators, including special envoy Steve Witkoff and adviser Jared Kushner, along with JD Vance, to discuss the latest round of proposals.
The lead-up to the announcement remained tense, with Trump continuing to threaten strikes. Trump had told CBS and Axios he would only sign a deal “where we get everything we want”, adding that if a deal was not reached, the US would begin striking Iran again.
News of the potential deal triggered dismay among Republican hawks who had spent years calling for US military action against Iran, and deriding the 2015 deal to limit Iran’s nuclear enrichment in return for sanctions relief negotiated during the Obama administration. Trump withdrew from that international deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), in 2018.
Mike Pompeo, who served as CIA director and secretary of state during Trump’s first term, denounced the rumored terms of the deal as too close to what Barack Obama’s negotiators had achieved and a boon to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
“The deal being floated with Iran seems straight out of the Wendy Sherman-Robert Malley-Ben Rhodes playbook: Pay the IRGC to build a WMD program and terrorize the world,” Pompeo wrote on social media, referring to Obama’s negotiators. The alternative, Pompeo added, is “straightforward: Open the damned strait. Deny Iran access to money. Take out enough Iranian capability so it cannot threaten our allies in the region.”
Malley responded: “Not quite the path Wendy, Ben or I would have taken. But if this deal brings an end to an unlawful, unjustifiable war, to the senseless loss of life and destruction, and to the cascading global economic fallout, I am quite sure we’d willingly accept it over the alternative.”
The White House director of communications, Steven Cheung, was somewhat less diplomatic in his response to the former secretary of state. “Mike Pompeo has no idea what the fuck he’s talking about,” Cheung wrote on X. “He should shut his stupid mouth and leave the real work to the professionals. He’s not read into anything that’s happening, so how would he know.”
After Republican senator Roger Wicker wrote the “rumored 60-day ceasefire – with the belief that Iran will ever engage in good faith – would be a disaster. Everything accomplished by Operation Epic Fury would be for naught!”, , Rhodes replied: “Nothing was accomplished by Operation Epic Fury except putting the IRGC in charge of Iran and the Strait of Hormuz.”
UK News
EasyJet flight diverts to Rome over power bank in luggage
Many airlines have toughened their rules on power banks, often requiring that they be stored in hand luggage not checked luggage.
Source link
UK News
Hottest May day for nearly 80 years as parts of UK hit heatwave threshold | UK weather
England, Wales and Northern Ireland recorded their highest temperatures of 2026 on Sunday, which was also the UK’s hottest May day for at least 79 years.
Kew Gardens in west London recorded 32.3C (90.1F), Cardiff 27.4C and Armagh 23.4C.
Scotland reached 23.5C in Edinburgh, just 0.1C below the record of 23.6C set in Aboyne on 1 May.
The first area of the UK to hit the heatwave threshold was Santon Downham in Suffolk, which reached the criteria of recording temperatures of more than 27C for three consecutive days at 11.30am on Sunday.
The other areas officially in heatwave conditions are Heathrow, Kew Gardens and Northolt in London, Benson in Oxfordshire, Brooms Barn in Suffolk, and High Beach and Writtle in Essex.
Temperatures could rise again on Monday, wwith possible highs of between 33C and 34C.
The climate crisis is increasing the likelihood of extreme heat. Large parts of western Europe are experiencing similar peaks, and the French national weather agency, Météo-France, said periods of exceptional heat are to be expected “more and more often and more and more prematurely, and to be more and more intense”.
A Met Office spokesperson said: “Breaking the 32.8C May record is around three times more likely now in our current climate than it would have been in natural climate conditions before the Industrial Revolution.
“What was around a one-in-100-year event is now around a one-in-33-year event.”
The Met Office sets the criteria for a heatwave, one of which is when temperatures reach or exceed 28C in London and its surrounding counties on at least three consecutive days.
For many other areas of England and south-east Wales, the threshold is 26C or 27C. For the rest of Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England it is 25C.
Saturday was the UK’s first 30C day of the year, the earliest date that temperature has been reached since 1952.
Sunbathers flocked to beaches across the UK, and Lord’s cricket ground relaxed its strict dress code for its members’ pavilion. The Marylebone Cricket Club usually requires spectators there to wear lounge suits or tailored jackets and ties.
There were also drinks breaks at the League One playoff final between Bolton Wanderers and Stockport County at Wembley and during the Premier League games as the top-flight football season concluded.
People living in three villages in Kent experienced no water or low pressure for a second day. The affected areas were Charing, Challock and Molash near Ashford, where people first reported supply problems on Saturday evening.
South East Water apologised and said the issue had been resolved overnight, but that supply problems had resumed on Sunday as a result of pumping station issues.
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) issued amber heat alerts on Friday morning for the East Midlands, the West Midlands, the east of England, London and the south-east.
The alerts will remain in place until 5pm on Wednesday, meaning “an increase in risk to health for individuals aged over 65 years or those with pre-existing health conditions, including respiratory and cardiovascular diseases”, according to the UKHSA website.
There were also pleas for caution around open bodies of water such as lakes and quarries to reduce the risk of drowning.
According to 2024 data from the National Water Safety Forum, 61% of accidental water-related fatalities occurred in inland waterways, including rivers, canals, lakes, reservoirs and quarries. May that year had the largest number of deaths at 28.
The data also suggests many such deaths occur among people who are not intending to enter the water.
Prof Mike Tipton, the chair of the forum and an expert in water safety and cold water shock, said: “We encourage people to think before entering the water, and if they decide to go in, go to a supervised location, enter the water slowly to reduce the cold shock response and keep breathing under control.
“If people get into trouble, they should ‘float to live’ – roll on to back, tilt head back to keep airways out of the water, do as little sculling arm and leg exercise as necessary to stay afloat until breathing is back under control.”
Tipton also advised against entering the water to rescue someone struggling because doing so often leads to two people in trouble. People should call the emergency services, tell the person in the water to float and throw them a flotation aid if possible, he said.
UK News
Police probe after 'skeletal remains' found by A617
Police say the remains found are believed to be of one person.
Source link
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoYoung farmers club hosts fun farm competitions in Bicester
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoMajor UK firm collapses in administration with nearly 700 jobs at risk
-
Oxford united FC4 weeks agoOxford United chairman statement to fans after relegation
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoChinese takeaway forced into 'bitter' closure after 'hatred and resentment'
-
UK News4 weeks agoWoman murdered sister and took her Rolex watch
-
Crime & Safety2 weeks agoMan arrested in connection with rape in Oxfordshire town
-
Crime & Safety4 weeks agoOxfordshire father ‘bitten’ by man who approached his daughter
-
Crime & Safety2 weeks agoBanbury woman jailed after lying to police about kidnapped children
